Re: Spitfire Heads and Cams

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Heads and Cams
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:11:07 -0600 (MDT)
Basically, any of the 8 port heads from the early 1300, late 1300 or 1500
motor will work on a 1500 motor.  The later 1500 heads will have ports for air
injectors, but these can easily be plugged.  A head with the '76 (??) dual
valve springs will give you a bit more revs before the valves atart to float
but nothing significant.

One thing to keep in mind is that the early 1300 heads tend to be thinner, in
terms of combustion chamber depth.  The 1500 competition manual, in the
chapter on heads, says something like "shave off 0.220 to start with."  But
chances are you don't want to go above about a 10 to 1 compression ratio.
Hmm, I should write up an article about Spit heads like the one I started many
years ago on the 6 cylinder Triumph engines.  The 6 cylinder motor is just a
Spit motor with a couple of extra cylinders stuck in there.  Most valve train
components for the 1500 and TR6 motors are the same.  Yep, Any Day Now I'll
write that article.

Anyway, the point is to make sure you don't get a head that has been trimmed
down a significant amount, and then try to remove a bunch more.  I'll work on
getting some actual combustion chamber depths and volumes posted soon.

As for finding spare heads, if you don't come up with anything useful in the
area, the Fat Chance Garage does have a stack of various Spit heads laying
around.  If you can wait for about 6 weeks, I'll be in the bay area over the
Thanksgiving holiday, and can drop one off for a lot less in shipping costs.

mjb.