entry fees

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: entry fees
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:57:28 -0400 (EDT)
THIS IS A REPLY TO THE POSTING ABOUT ENTRY FEES — IT WAS SENT AT THE TIME THE
SERVER STOPPED SENDING E-MAIL, SO I AM RE-SENDING THE REPLY

Your topic is most timely, given the current debate about the future
direction of the SVRA and the fact that closing of the sale of SVRA has been
set for June 12, 1997.

First, I don't think any race organizer is getting rich off entry fees.  I
have seen only one general manager driving a Mercedes, and that was supplied
as part of a sponsorship package.

Second, the entry fees are probably a small portion of a individual's racing
budget, with travel expenses and race car prep costing far more.
 Nevertheless, the entry fees are, in my opinion, an indication of the
attitude of the organization towards the entrant. Put another way, does the
organization see the entrant as a fat pigeon to be plucked, or is the
organization merely trying to recoup their costs.  Obviously, entry fees are
going to vary, based upon the rental fees of the track, parties, souvenirs,
the cost of supporting staff, and other items which may or may not be within
the control of the organizer. At some larger spectator events like SVRA's
Mid-Ohio or Watkins Glen, there is no track rental fee, so the entry fees at
those events goes directly to the organization.

Other factors come into play, so that a $2000 entry fee at Monaco was a
bargain (See Autoweek, 6/2/97), while $425 to run an enduro at Roebling Road
seems a little excessive.  Some events have worked with sponsors to reduce
costs, and then passed on those savings to the competitors.  Do racers
realize that Brian Redman's Bahamas event had NO entry fee and gave every
participant a free hotel room, free lunches and buffets,  parties every
night, free shirts and drinks, free vehicle shipping to Nassau from Miami and
a great time in Nassau at the height of the tourist season?  Compare that
with Race Jamaica, a pseudo vintage event, which charged several grand for
the privilege of racing Legends cars.

It makes an interesting discussion, but in the end, we either approve or
disapprove of an event by entering or going somewhere else.  One of the
benefits of the growth of vintage racing is that we do have a choice, with
approximately 10 events to choose from each month.