Re: Laguna Seca

To: CLCSF@aol.com
Subject: Re: Laguna Seca
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 18:59:18 PDT
Don,

>To all CSRG members - I just got a notice from Green Flag Racing ( a
>relatively new race organization ) that they have obtained a Laguna Seca
>race weekend for May 31 - June 1.

I got that flyer too. Lucky them. I have the Wine Country Classic a few
weeks before, and may not be able to run again so soon.  They operate a
time-trial type format, like the AROC. It is not a full race event.  I
ran Laguna twice last year.  The new config/surface is a blast.

>I'm mad as hell !!  Where is the leadership of CSRG?  We've been talking
>about getting a race date at Laguna for years, but someone always blames
>Steve Earle.

Well, I wouldn't exactly blame CSRG for losing Reno.  That was the Reno
Hilton's doing, as I understand.  That was supposed to be our June
event.  Are you doing Thunder Hill?  We would have had CSRG events in
March, April, June, and September with HMSA in Feb, May, August and
Nov.  Reno just happened to make a gaping hole in the schedule.  There
is also a large overlap in the membership between CSRG and HMSA.  I see
a number of the same people at these events.

>CSRG has no race dates for May or June and apparently all we had to do
>was ask and we could have had Laguna.  I guess it's time to stop
>bitching and run for the board....
>Don Queen

There's another fly in that ointment.  Unless it's one of the few
"special" weekends, Laguna operates under severe noise restrictions.
There are a number of cars in CSRG that could not easily pass a 92 dB
limit.  Is it possible that they didn't want to try as it would not
serve the membership as well?  Laguna is also expensive.  Remember also,
Laguna Seca is run as a park surrounded by homeowners (bloody idiots).
They actually do not want to see it in use every weekend.  Sears and TH
are being run as businesses that would dearly love to see a full
calendar.  If you can figure out a way to get more people to go to
Thunder Hill, we probably could have more events.  You want to run for
the board?  Go for it.  Seriously, they could use some suggestions.