RE: AUS - Wet Amaroo

To: "100240.2425@compuserve.com" <100240.2425@compuserve.com>,
Subject: RE: AUS - Wet Amaroo
From: Andrew Pursey <MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 07:25:58 +-1100
Myles....

"You guys talk funny...."flaggies"??????  Don't they get mad when you =
call
them that!!"

No, it is fairly common in Australia for people to use, usually in =
speech, a diminutive/shortened form of a word(s), so it is perfectly =
acceptable.  Thus, flag marshals (flaggies), fire marshals (firies), =
Alan Jones (Jonesie), Bob Hawke (Hawkie), etc.

As you can see, we don't have corner workers, we have course marshals of =
various types (flag, fire, incident, etc).  In Australia there is now a =
formal system of accreditation for officials and the regulars all have =
photo licences that carry their rating and space for experience records =
- just as we have for drivers.  Does that work the same in the US?

The trend towards raising marshalling/officials standards by having =
formal training and review sessions seems to be running hard in many =
countries, which in IMHO is one of the better uses of drivers' =
registration fees to their sports governing bodies.

........regards....Andrew "Axeman" Pursey=20
1954 Morris Oxford, 1955 Morris Oxford (racing in Group Na pre'58 =
Classic Saloons), 1955 Morris Isis, 1956 Morris Isis, 1994 Land Rover =
Discovery, plus 1996 SAAB 900S Coupe (more trouble in under 500 miles =
than any LBC - if this is typical of the marque, don't buy a SAAB)