Re: Why go halfway?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why go halfway?
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:29:05 PST
Mind you, among the autocross crowd, engine swaps are pretty common.  It
pushes you into the Modified classes, but you see some pretty outrageous
cars.  There's a Datsun (1200 or 510) with a Buick Aluminum V8 in it.
The rotaries get pretty wild too.  There are some actual RX2's but with
bridge-ported rotary engines.  Those things only operate in 2 regimes,
WOT and idle.  At WOT they are Loud with a capital L.  At idle, they
sound like ...  BZZZZT ...  BZZZT ...  BZZZT ...  like psychotic killer
bees gone spastic.  ;=)

>When I was in college, a guy had a Spitfire with a warmed up RX-2 rotary
>- the thing must have been a blast!  It was definitely loud!

A Datsun 1600 with a rotary makes a pretty wild car too, but I wouldn't
try it in Vintage.