FWD Gearboxes

To: BRITISH-CARS-PRE-WAR@autox.team.net
Subject: FWD Gearboxes
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:41:59 +0000 (GMT)
HELP NEEDED!

I am currently trying to get a new pair of gears made to fit the transfer
box on my 6.1 litre aero engined pre-war Riley. The trouble is that the
gear cutting people are taking about 1000 pounds to have a pair cut heat
treated and ground. The current gears and box are I beleive a PTO off a
tractor.

As an alternative I have thought of using the Crown wheel and drive gear
from a transverse front wheel drive car. The quality should be good, spare
cheap, easy to get hold of. The trouble is finding what I want without
dismantling every box in the local breakers yard.

What I need is a pair of helical gears (not a 90 degree set like the CWP
in a rear axle) that run in the same axis. Ratio needs to be 3.3:1, centre
distance approx 105 - 115 mm (4" to 4.5") aboiut 40mm/1.5" wide.

All dimensions approximate, does anyone have any good ideas? Anyone who
comes up with something that I end up using can go for a spin down the
road in the car!!!!

cheers

Geraint