Mechanic wanted!

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Mechanic wanted!
From: "Clark E. Smith" <clarksmith@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 18:50:18 +0000
Hello All,

This is my first posting to this list.  I would like to request help
on an engine reassembly problem that I have been fighting with all day
and I'm kind of desperate.  I need some new ideas.

I just had the head of my Datsun L20B engine (four cylinder, OHC,
aluminun head, iron crankcase) flycut to eliminate four thousands of
warping. When I removed the head, I made sure that the timing chain
did not allow the chain tensioner to spring outward or skip a link on
the crank by jamming a wood wedge (per factory recommendation) between
the chain and the rails.

The problem: for the life of me, with the timing chain around the
timing gear, I can not get the timing gear to reach it's mount on the
end of the cam shaft. It's short by 1/16th of an inch!  This chain had
plenty of slop when I took it off.  Those I've spoken to think the
tensioner has sprung out but I can see it down there and can seemingly
press it back easily.  I have tried reasonable force in trying to pry
the gear up over the end of the cam with no luck.

There is no apparent excessive space between the head and the
crankcase (even though I have not torqued the head down yet).  The cam
was removed/replace by the machine shop for the flycutting but there
is no evidence of shims under the cam towers.

If anything, the head is four thousands lower now and the chain should
be looser (fractionally).  What the heck did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Clark

--
"Hay Bales and Asphalt"