Lotus, MGA motors

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Lotus, MGA motors
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 01:25:20 -0600
I'm trying to peddle a few motors that I came into as part of a package deal.
Being a Triumph guy, I don't have an immediate need for these units, though
I still think I could wedge the twin cam into a Spitfire.  Anyway, one is
a Lotus Europa twincam, Bean 1700 kit, fresh Stromberg head with carbs, all
machining done.  Needs flywheel and oilpan to be complete.  I bet it wouldn't
take much to talk me into delivering it in Ls Vegas in a few weeks.  One other
factor in knowing about Triumph parts but not Lotus is the price.  I think this
motor is worth about $2,000, is that reasonable, or way off base?

The others are MGA motors, one a stock 1600 motor, freshly rebuilt awaiting
assembly.  New crank, pistons, bearings, oil pump, and fresh head.  Includes
manifolds, starter etc.  And one is a 1622 HRG high performance motor, needs
light overhaul and reassembly.  Includes forged pistons, race cam, lightened
flywheel, ported head, etc, etc, etc.  Not sure what brand pistons and rods.
Again unsure of current market value, I would guess these would both be in
the $1,500 range, plus shipping.  Now, if you happen to want one of these,
and live in a place where I can be convinced to visit, like within a day's
drive or so of Salt Lake City, Utah, the delivery charges could be quite cheap!

mjb.