Re: a spin on the physics

To: hbahn@reeusda.gov
Subject: Re: a spin on the physics
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:08:21 PDT
Yes, I think we can say, "rain line."  ;=) I was joking about the
hydroplaning.  When I went thru the SCCA school at Sears, the
instructors were most helpful in teaching this.  It turned out the
safest way to do it was to drive right down the center of the dragstrip
on top of the yellow line until it was time to turn in for #1.  The
comparison with black ice was appropriate.  The stuff is black and shiny
dry or wet.  The difference in traction can be quite considerable.  I
had no real problem with it.  I used to live in New Orleans with 60+
inches of rain a year.  It was the California natives who couldn't stay
on the track (kidding again, see?).  I did find that the skinny tires on
my Formula Junior kept their grip ok, while some of the Formula Ford
guys just could not keep it steady on their wide tires.  I actually
passed one of the FF's in the rain because I was getting better at it,
and he was not.  That poor guy seemed to go off just about every lap.
He was determined to get around clean once, and so one of the slowest
cars in the field (mine) passed him.  There's your equalizer. ;=)