Re: Spin Physics

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Subject: Re: Spin Physics
From: "HENRY BAHN OF RESD" <hbahn@SMOKE.ESUSDA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:28:56 +500
Jim, et al.:  I teach high performance driving (Summit Point Raceway,
W VA) and I'm a firm advocate of the "both pedals (that's clutch and
brake!) to the floor" philosophy when dealing with the terminal
result of oversteer.  The trick is to prevent the student giving up
too soon aned never admitting defeat and locking 'em up.  Change -
and learning - occurs at the margin, but the margin between "I can
save it" and "Oh shit! Here comes the wall" is sometimes pretty thin
- especially when the grass is wet!  Another good thing about both
pedals to the floor is that it gives the driver something to do as
the magic of deceleration happens - they don't feel like mere
passengers as they ride it out.

JH Bahn
'66 Datsun 1600 FP Roadster