Re: Race Liability Insurance

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Liability Insurance
From: als26@chattanooga.net (A.L.Smith)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 09:51 EDT
The theme of this resent post to the group really caugt my attention and I
felt compelled to respond.

I have been involved in SCCA road racing for almost 20 years.  One of things
that I have found most appealing about our sport is the immediate response
to ones actions and reactions; be it positive or negitive.  I'm also in
total agree ment with Carrol Smith's literary disclaimer stateing that a
person should be responsible for his own actions.

In the U.S., autoracing is one of the final vestiages for this basic
principle. Being a realist and knowing the direction our society has gone, I
understand the basis of the original question concerning liability insurance
for racers. However, I find it extremly upseting and unpalletable to accept.

The idea of someone bringing a law suit aginst a fellow racer is
incomprehensible. If society's mores have become that entwined in our sport
and this type of personal protection is now required then so be it but my
helmet will go in the closet before I'll sign a policy!

P.S.-

Jim,

What was the outcome of the suit aginst the SCCA instructor?  I would also
be interested in learning the name of the litigant...I'll check the entry
list at my next event to see if he(she) is entered!