Re: how modified should we be

To: Brian Evans <brian.evans@quest.ca>
Subject: Re: how modified should we be
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 18:41:00 -0700
Brian Evans wrote:

> What are peoples thoughts on the level of modifications that are
> appropriate for our Vintage cars?  I'm thinking of production type cars
> like Sprites/Midgets, Mini's, TR-4's and Spitfires, and so on.  These
> cars really need to have some degree of modification to race at all, but
> how far should we go?
>
> I think there are three levels of modification that could be considered:
>
> 1.      Race the car as produced in the year of manufacture.  Same type
> of shocks, Wheel size up one inch, tires of similar size to what was
> available then, no panhard rods, heim joints, trick suspension. Original
> steel bodies, original brakes, transmission ratios, engine size, etc.
> Factory options are OK.  Engine modifications restricted similar to SVRA
> type rules.
>
> 2.      Race the car as it would have been raced in the era that it
> originally raced.  This would allow the typical racing upgrades and
> modifications that factories or typical period racing series allowed and
> might include larger engines, different type of shocks, modified
> suspension, modified bodywork to include fiberglass fenders/hoods, and so
> on.  Most of the cars I've seen at SVRA, VARAC, HSR events do fall into
> this category, even if only in one or two areas.
>
> 3.      Race the car with an outward vintage appearance, but with full
> modern preparation.  This would probably not include tube frame Mini's
> but would account for the GT-5/H-prod type cars that have narrowed their
> fender flares and run so very fast at many events.  Modified suspension
> pickup points, Dog type ultra-close gearboxes, different and much larger
> brakes, different rear axles, five speed gearboxes - everyone know what I
> mean.
>
> I'm very interested in opinions...
>
> Where am I coming from on this?  I race out of Canada, and belong to
> VARAC.  I have a Cooper S and a 1961 MG Midget.  While I'm pretty close
> to meeting the VARAC rules, which are pretty much option one above, when
> I'm honest I have to admit that I've never really had a truly legal car,
> nor have many of my friends that I race with.  We all seem to need to
> modify the cars more than is really allowed to feel comfortable racing
> with them.  If this is so, why not change the rules? Anyway, I'm curious
> as to the combined attitude towards this subject.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Brian Evans
> Major Account Manager
> Shaw FiberLink
> (brian.evans@fiberlink.ca)

Brian:

I tend to view the modification levels in the same manner you do.
However, I can't say that level 3 is what I consider "Vintage".  Neither
are many of the SVRA cars (not mentioning any particular group) that are
running fiberglass or composite bodywork never available during the
period, brakes not available during the period, etc.  There is a place
for cars modified to that extent - HSR welcomes them, for one!

However, my view, particularly as SCCA Vintage Coordinator for Florida
Region, ranges in the first two areas.  Cars without real history are
given the basic guideline of preparing the car to the extent it would
have or could have been modified to race in the SCCA Production classes
for the year of manufacture.  This makes checking easy since the
specifications are available from SCCA!  Sports racers, etc. get a little
more difficult.  The second category I have is for cars which actually
raced prior to 1973.  These I permit to run in any configuration it ran
using prior to January 1973.  Now this can get a little tricky but most
of the specs can still be obtained or some knowledgeable source can be
location if there is disagreement on any items.  Race history must, of
course, be clearly documented.

This view of Vintage has limited our fields at times but has preserved a
representative view into the past age of racing.  Are all the cars legal?
I doubt it, but no one has gone truly overboard pushing the envelop.  As
I have stated to others involved in Vintage Racing (recently, I might
add), the true difference lies in the attitude of the driver.  When
winning becomes less important than competing on an even field and
enjoying doing it, the issues of vehicle legality and over-preparation
tend to take care of themselves.

As Dennis Miller is prone to say, "But that's just my opinion; I could be
wrong...".  Shiny side up!

*8o)