tvr

RE: temp sending unit

To: <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: temp sending unit
From: russell.talbot@genie.co.uk
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:30:56 +0000
I spent some time trying to find a new AC sender for my 71 Vixen.  The
original is from a Vauxhall Ventora and the part number is 7966195.

I managed to find one and bought it - but it didn't work - the gauge
readings were far too low.  I don't know whether the sender was the
wrong one or the gauge had been "adjusted" before I bought the car.

I think Stephen's approach is the way to go and I have done it.  I was
however concerned about the linearity of the response since with a
Spitfire sender my gauge read about right - but when you stopped in
traffic it failed to give any useful information at all as if the
temperature rose a couple of degrees the needle was stuck at the top of
the gauge (I had seen it apparently rise 20 degrees in two minutes).
I evenntually succeeded better than I expected and the gauge is now
quite accurate.

I have explained what I did to my mine on a web page at
www.hockerley.freeserve.co.uk/pages/instrmn.html

I think Nigel Warner's website reports how he did his too.

Does anyone want to buy an AC sender? - possibly the right one - or
possibly not?

Russell