tvr

Converting from mineral-based to silicone hydraulic fluid

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Converting from mineral-based to silicone hydraulic fluid
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:52:21 EST
Hello,

Thought this might be of interest.  The following message was posted on the
Triumph  Team. Net list.

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA

<< Subj:     Summary - Converting from mineral-based to silicon hydraulic
fluid
 Date:  01-03-21 08:19:21 EST
 From:  nriedel@nextek.net (Nelson A. Riedel)
 Sender:    owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
 To:    triumphs@autox.team.net

 Last week I asked for information from those who had converted from
 mineral-based (DOT3/DOT 4) to silicon hydraulic fluid in brakes and did they
 have any problems.   The following is a summary of the responses and the
 results of a simple experiment.

 There were about 10 responses from folks who had drained their systems as
 much as possible at the wheels and then put the new fluid in the MC and
 continued to bleed till the new fluid flowed cleanly out of the wheel
 cylinders.  Some had done it recently and others had done it more than ten
 years ago.  All reported no problems.

 There were several responses that said you must replace all seals and hoses
 and flush the system with alcohol.  They didn't indicate what would happen
 if you didn't do this.

 One person said to not worry, the two fluids don't mix, the silicon floats
 on top the mineral based fluid. As a result, any remaining DOT 4 would end
 up in the low spot --- the bottom of the wheel cylinders. He also said to be
 sure not to shake the silicon fluid because air bubbles would become
 suspended in the fluid and take a while to reach the surface.

 I decided to run an experiment (engineering background) by pouring a small
 amount of  DOT 4  (nearly clear with a slight yellow color) into a small jar
 and then adding an equal amount of the purple silicon fluid.  Sure enough,
 the purple stuff stayed on top.  The mixture was then shaken vigorously and
 let it set.  A bunch of bubbles appeared in the upper part of the fluid and
 the whole thing turned purple. So far, exactly as I was told .  A half hour
 later the fluids had separated --- clear at the top and purple at the
 bottom. There were still a few bubbles on the top part. That didn't make
 sense --- the purple silicon is now on the bottom and the DOT 4 on the top
 has suspended air bubbles.   Could the DOT 4  have sucked the color out of
 the silicon? It is known for absorbing stuff like water.

 New experiment: 1/4 inch of purple silicon and 3/4 inch DOT 4, then shake
 and let set.   An hour later, top 1/4 inch is nearly clear and the bottom
 3/4 inch is light purple.   Conclusion: silicon fluid floats on DOT 4 (just
 like I was told)  AND DOT 4 absorbs color (I assume its a dye) from silicon
 fluid.  Also --- DON'T SHAKE THE SILICON!

 When the car gets back from the painter in two weeks (I hope) I'm going to
 follow the advice of those who have successfully converted with minimum
 effort.

 Thanks to all who responded.

 Nelson Riedel
 Granville, OH
 76 TR6 (at paint shop)
 68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
 70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)

///
///  tvr@autox.team.net mailing list
///