tvr

Re: Hillclimbing Vixen/Front Uprights

To: Rikrock@aol.com, TVR <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hillclimbing Vixen/Front Uprights
From: Bill Sanford <tvrdude@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:07:24 -0700
Rich,
 Bad luck I say old chap! I believe the GT6 is the larger uprated
version
of the spitfire/herald kingpin assy. More Triumph knowledgeable would
know. (sorry,I went right from MGs to TVRs with a short detour to TR8s)
Glad to hear of another TVR being driven in "anger". (mostly from your
competitors you beat :).......)!

Bill

PS when I ran my 3000s at SCCA nationals in 98', my final run I made a
significant boo-boo at high speed and the F-word shot out from my car,
(with the top down it travels a ways). I then drove harder being a
little
P.O.'d, and this proved to be the fastest run of the class on the
"North"
course and broght me to a second place finish of 36? in class.  :)
(what would I have done without a cast on my right hand?)

Rikrock@aol.com wrote:

> Dateline Reading PA.
>
> A short but very loud profanity was heard coming from car #114 following a
> mishap at turn 7 during todays running of The Pagoda Hillclimb. On his second
> run of the morning, Rich Rock, driving a silver 1970 TVR Vixen, approached
> turn seven at what can only be described as "a little too fast".
>
> The tail end of the car swung out dramatically as Rich turned in to the
> corner.  According to the corner workers, for a split second it looked like
> he just might make it, but when the tires on Rich's car regained their grip,
> the car abruptly changed direction and headed straight for the outside of the
> corner, coming to rest with the nose of the car in the sloped dirt
> embankment.  The bonnet, torn from three of its attachment points, opened
> straight up on impact.
>
> Corner workers jumped to action.  After quickly determining that Rich had
> sustained no injury, evident by his animated gestures and colorful language,
> they pushed the car back on to the road for a closer inspection.
>
> Finding nothing on the car severely damaged, the bonnet was loosely attached,
> and  Rich slowly drove the car away, to the applause of spectators.
>
> Asked later about his initial utterrance, Rich replied, "I'm sorry, I
> misspoke.  What I meant to say was 'OOPS' ".  Rich continued, "It was an
> experiment, you see.  I was trying to  find the fastest way through the turn.
>  It didn't work out this time, but I'll be back".
>
> Rich didn't make another run after the incident, finding prohibitive damage
> to the suspension, but his earlier times were good enough to earn him a first
> place trophy in his class, besting a TR4 and an Opel GT.
>
> Well, that's how it went.  The bonnet will need some work, but it's not  too
> bad, nowhere near as bad as it looked from the drivers seat, or anywhere
> else, according to witnesses.
>
> The big problem is damage to a front upright.  It's bent pretty good where
> the threaded portion meets the rest of the piece.  I need another one, one
> with the left-hand threads.  Where can I get one?  Will one from a Spitfire
> work?  What are my options?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich Rock
> Pottstown, PA