tvr

Murky clutch fluid

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Murky clutch fluid
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:37:25 PST
After sitting for more than a year, I am trying to get my '74 2500M
running and, I hope eventually, smogged.  It starts up fine in neutral, but
when I try to put it in gear it won't budge (or grinds in reverse).  So
I thought I would start by bleeding the clutch fluid.  When I did this last
night, the fluid that came out was a very dark murky grey with little
bits of black sludge in it.  There was a puddle of black crud on the bottom
of the main resevoir that I cleaned up.  I replaced it all with DOT 3
brake fluid, bleeding it until only clear stuff came out.

Where did the black crud come from?  I do not know how long it has been
since the fluid was changed, only that it was a long time ago.  The crud
does not look like rust, but I suppose it could be.  Could the rubber
parts be deteriorating and I need to rebuild the slave cylinder?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Richard
 (still un-smogged in Davis, CA)