tvr

Re: gas tank

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gas tank
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:48:47 EST
In a message dated 1/4/99 9:33:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, zehrinwa@umdnj.edu
writes:

<<
 Just to start the new year off on a happy note, I was talking with another
 TVR colleague, over the holidays, about the complete absence of protection
 from side, front, or rear impact in the TVR.  He reminded me of the total
 absence of protection of interior occupants from a puncture of the gas tank
 due to a forceful rearend collision.  I felt real good about that, after we
 were done talking.  Not that I'm looking for trouble, but...  Has anyone
 put a fuel cell in their TVR, as some type of effort to minimize the danger
 of being burned to a crisp in the event of a rear end crash?  Cost?  Volume
 of the tank?  On that happy note, I'll say...

Well I finally got 'round to this years email...
Yeah I agree, little old ladies with silver hair in Buicks with port holes
send shivers of monk-like self immolation through my mind whilst out in the
TVR. I too have looked into the fuel cell idea. Unfortunately, for the 2500's,
(and M's I'd guess) the shape of the tank is a problem. No one makes anything
close as the width is a problem. You can get an 8 gallon unit that should fit
ok, but anything bigger will have to be custom made.
The M cars will definitely have more grief as the tank compartment is just
"gas tank" sized. On the other hand, the M cars do not seem to be as much in
peril as the earlier unit, due to the isolated (but still vulnerable)
compartmentalization of the tank.
For those of you on a budget (OK, some call it cheap) a few random thoughts.

I built a 1/4" aluminum "shield" behind my tank. It is shaped like a "V" at
the back, with the pointy part to the rear. This plate is wrapped under the
tank (yeah you'll have to redo the straps under there, but they're probably
rusted clear through inside those little fiberglass slots anyway) and fastened
so that there are straight pieces from the rear "V" shape that butt up against
the rear main tubes. The idea here is that an impact will force the incoming
bumper either above or below the tank. Not rocket science, but might save my
life.
The other thing to consider is the rear wooden shelf in the back. On impact
that wood will shatter and the ruptured tank can spray as much gas as it wants
up through the splintered wood cover. Replace this cover with an aluminum
piece. In an impact, the metal will wrinkle but will not separate enough to
allow gas through it. Of course it will still allow gas around it's edges
where it comes away from the edges of the body, but again, it may deter enough
fuel to stop a "driver flambe".

Don't wanna be that shrimp on the barbie...
        Nick in Nor Cal