tvr

hybrid

To: Rolf Beuttenmuller <rolf@star.inst.bnl.gov>
Subject: hybrid
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@umdnj.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:25:27 -0400
At 08:53 AM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi George;
>You failed to mention where the car is located. What exactly is a hybrid.
>Rolf 1970 Vixen S2
>
>George McIntyre wrote:
>
>> 1972 TVR Vixen "hybrid" for sale.
>> Excellent body and glass.  Rebuilt aternator, master cylinder, servo
>> etc...... Asking  $3,500.
>>
>>                                             Cheers......George McIntyre

A 'hybrid' 2500 is a chimera (to quote the Greeks), a car that had
components of the later 2500M (principal change being in the frame, or so I
understand), with the body style of the earlier (pre-M) 2500 (with many
cosmetic differences to the "M" body style).  The same sort of think
occured at MG with the MGA MkII "delux" and at Jag with what is referred to
as the series 1.5 E-type.  These are 'rare' cars, but not necessarily
particularly 'special.'  I was snagged on this transition when I purchased,
sight unseen, a pair of inner wheel wells from what was described as a
2500.  It turns out they were from a 'hybrid' so the frame was different
(significantly so), so the attachement points for the wheel wells were
different, so the wheel wells were different.  So it goes.  I'm using them
as planters now ;-)

Here's a question:  does the "M" stand for Martin??

cheers,
WZ