Re: [TR] Marvel mystery oil

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Marvel mystery oil
From: Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 14:59:57 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, tTSCC <TTSCC@yahoogroups.com>

--00000000000005dec40609d29b9d

My automotives prof at university in the late 1970s called all those things
"gas house drip".  I've always liked that descriptive term.  It's
probably pretty accurate, too.

I can't imagine that there's any significant difference between any of
those products for what you're trying to do, Sujit.  I'd guess than any
non-drying oil would probably work.  (For long-term storage of my engines
I've usually used a good shot of SAE-30 in the spark plug holes -- enough
to fully wet the perimeter of each piston so the rings get fully wetted.
 If you can turn the engine, it would probably be good to move the valves
for a different combination of open and closed across the cylinders, so the
ones open to moisture have a chance to be kept free and cycle another set
of cylinders open to ambient.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 2:13=E2=80=AFPM Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.co=
m> wrote:

> That looks like the stuff, although my supply is so old that it's in a
> metal can.  Might qualify as an antique by now.
>
> It has a distinctive smell, which I find particularly pleasing.  What
> the mystery is is indeterminate, but it won't do any harm to put some
> in the cylinders and let it soak before you turn it over.  Don't use
> too much if you plan to try and crank it up.
>

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 11:52=E2=80=AFPM Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>=
 wrote:

> > I have  a Stag engine here in the USA and folks have said to pour  this
> stuff into each cylinder.
> > I went on their website and they have a few products.
> > Do I get his one and how much do I pour done each cylinder?
> >

> https://marvelmysteryoil.com/collections/recreational/products/marvel-mys=
tery-oil

> > The engine has been sitting idle for many years, I have not tried to
> turn it over.
> >
> > Regards, Sujit
> >
> > --
> > Sujit Roy
> > Cupertino, California
> >
> > https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/
> >
> > ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
> >
> > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
> >
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/fishplate@gmail.com
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/don.hiscock@gmail.com

--00000000000005dec40609d29b9d

automotives prof at university in the late 1970s called all those things &q=
uot;gas house drip&quot;.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve always liked that descriptive term=
.=C2=A0 It&#39;s probably=C2=A0pretty accurate, too.</div><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default=
" style=3D"font-size:small">I can&#39;t imagine that there&#39;s any signif=
icant difference between any of those products for what you&#39;re trying t=
o do, Sujit.=C2=A0 I&#39;d guess than any non-drying oil would probably wor=
k.=C2=A0 (For long-term storage of my engines I&#39;ve usually used a good =
shot of SAE-30 in the spark plug holes -- enough to fully wet the=C2=A0peri=
meter of each piston so=C2=A0the rings get fully wetted.=C2=A0 =C2=A0If you=
 can turn the engine, it would probably=C2=A0be good to move the=C2=A0valve=
s for a different combination of open and closed across the cylinders, so t=
he ones open to moisture=C2=A0have a chance to be kept free and cycle anoth=
te"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 2:13=E2=
=80=AFPM Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fishplate@gmail.com";>fishpla=
e=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);paddin=
g-left:1ex">That looks like the stuff, although my supply is so old that it=
&#39;s in a<br>
metal can.=C2=A0 Might qualify as an antique by now.<br>
It has a distinctive smell, which I find particularly pleasing.=C2=A0 What<=
br>
the mystery is is indeterminate, but it won&#39;t do any harm to put some<b=
r>
in the cylinders and let it soak before you turn it over.=C2=A0 Don&#39;t u=
se<br>
too much if you plan to try and crank it up.<br>
On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 11:52=E2=80=AFPM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tri=