Re: [TR] TR4 steering rack hole

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 steering rack hole
From: Carl Sereda <carlsereda@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:00:44 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_1284447_511031074.1628550044287

 Hi Cliff,I don't see your photo. The little hole is for a nylon button
(anti-rattle).I believe it was a factory upgrade to stop an annoying rattle
when a rack tube bushing gets worn and was developed/introduced somewhere
during TR4-TR4A production.Some years ago I dug through about 20 used racks at
Triumph$Only and found a few TR4/4A racks with that very nylon button.
Basically, it rides atop the rack bar and is flush with top side of rack tube.
The original-style rubber mount provides some pressure to that nylon button.
Seems like a real good idea to me. Nylon nub about the size of a pencil eraser
- a little smaller.
I am sure you could fashion a nub of nylon to suit the purpose - doubt they are
sold anywhere (maybe TRF) ..
I am going for comfortable steering so am using the original-style rubber rack
mounts and nylon nub. Solid mounts may cause too much pressure on a nylon nub
and probably cause accelerated wear to your tube bushing. Maybe just applying
some silicone lightly under a solid mount would seal the area around the hole
good enough.
Good luck with your project!
Regards,Carl'63TR4 since '74

I have a new steering rack (original is judged not rebuildable due to wear on
the rack gear teeth). On the passenger side, on top of the tube, there is the
hole shown in the attached photo.

Should there should be a plug of some sort? In the original that hole is filled
by a rubber button from the inside, perhaps as part of a bushing of some sort.
The hole will be under the mount, I intend to use a solid rack mount so I can?t
rely on the mount bushing to seal against water.

I will call the vendor tomorrow, I thought I?d ask this group also. I?d install
it today if I had confidence that all is as it should be.

Thanks

Cliff

------=_Part_1284447_511031074.1628550044287

button (anti-rattle).</font></div>

rattle when a rack tube bushing gets worn and was developed/introduced
somewhere during TR4-TR4A production.</font></div>

Triumph$Only and found a few TR4/4A racks with that very nylon button.
Basically, it rides atop the rack bar and is flush with top side of rack tube.
The original-style rubber mount provides some pressure to that nylon button.
Seems like a real good idea to me. Nylon nub about the size of a pencil eraser
- a little smaller.<br>

purpose - doubt they are sold anywhere (maybe TRF) ..<br>

original-style rubber rack mounts and nylon nub. Solid mounts may cause too
much pressure on a nylon nub and probably cause accelerated wear to your tube
bushing. Maybe just applying some silicone lightly under a solid mount would
seal the area around the hole good enough.<br>

style="border-left: 2px solid blue; padding-left: 3px;">
due to wear on the rack gear teeth). On the passenger side, on top of the tube,
there is the hole shown in the attached photo.<br>

hole is filled by a rubber button from the inside, perhaps as part of a bushing
of some sort. The hole will be under the mount, I intend to use a solid rack
mount so I can?t rely on the mount bushing to seal against water.<br>

also. I?d install it today if I had confidence that all is as it should be.<br>

------=_Part_1284447_511031074.1628550044287--

--===============8622410996008630133==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============8622410996008630133==--