Re: [TR] Monocularity

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Monocularity
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:49:19 -0700

--------------4832789E98EFC581DCEA6000

On 7/5/21 12:45 PM, Tom Walling wrote:
> Trying to get the headlight relay kit (Moss p/n 117-515) to work on my
> TR6.
> I know I've done something wrong as only one headlight at a time will
> light-up. When I use low-beam, the left light lights, then high-beam
> and the right one lights up and the left one goes out. The
> instructions are not all that clear about what to hook into what, but
> I know I haven't switched (or mixed) the blue/white and blue/red wires
> and I have them connected to the bulb wires correctly too.
> I did replace the headlight "pig tails" with ones from British Wiring.
> Could they have mixed the blue/red and blue/white wires? I think that
> may cause this interesting problem, but I'm not sure.

Not having seen your circuit. There should be a blue/white wire coming
from your dimmer switch to the coil of one relay, and a blue red wire
coming from your dimmer switch to the coil of the other relay. Both
relays should have one relay contact to Battery, via a fuse. The other
relay contact of the relay with the blue/white coil wire gets a
blue/white wire from each headlamp socket. The other relay with the
blue/red coil wire gets the blue/red wire from each of the two light
sockets. Light socket black wire to chassis ground.

Sounds like you wired one headlamp to one relay and the other headlamp
to the other relay. The Lucas wire colour code is your friend. One coil
gets blue/white (high beam) from both headlights and the other relay
gets Blue/red (low beam) wire from each of the headlamps.

And if your wiring kit doesn't come with the correct colour code yell at
Moss for sourcing generic junk.

TeriAnn

--

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>

*Because the world beckons and life waits for no one*

--------------4832789E98EFC581DCEA6000

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:1360078803.137509.1625514329104@connect.xfinity.com">
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"> <span
          style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">Trying to get
          the headlight relay kit (Moss p/n 117-515) to work on my TR6.
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">   </div>
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"> <span
          style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">I know I've
          done something wrong as only one headlight at a time will
          light-up. When I use low-beam, the left light lights, then
          high-beam and the right one lights up and the left one goes
          out. The instructions are not all that clear about what to
          hook into what, but I know I haven't switched (or mixed) the
          blue/white and blue/red wires and I have them connected to the
          bulb wires correctly too. </span> </div>
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">   </div>
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"> <span
          style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">I did replace
          the headlight "pig tails" with ones from British Wiring. Could
          they have mixed the blue/red and blue/white wires? I think
          that may cause this interesting problem, but I'm not
sure.</span></div>
      coming from your dimmer switch to the coil of one relay, and a
      blue red wire coming from your dimmer switch to the coil of the
      other relay. Both relays should have one relay contact to Battery,
      via a fuse. The other relay contact of the relay with the
      blue/white coil wire gets a blue/white wire from each headlamp
      socket. The other relay with the blue/red coil wire gets the
      blue/red wire from each of the two light sockets. Light socket
      black wire to chassis ground.<br>
      Sounds like you wired one headlamp to one relay and the other
      headlamp to the other relay. The Lucas wire colour code is your
      friend. One coil gets blue/white (high beam) from both headlights
      and the other relay gets Blue/red (low beam) wire from each of the
      headlamps.</p>
      yell at Moss for sourcing generic junk.<br>
          Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
          Canada</a>
        2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn
        what to write<br>

--------------4832789E98EFC581DCEA6000--

--===============2323050099527382963==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **