Re: [TR] My worst car ever

To: <Dean.Mericas@CH2M.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] My worst car ever
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:03:35 +0000
From: <Dean.Mericas@CH2M.com>
> Just to throw my $0.02 into this discussion, my worst car was a 1970
> Rover 3500S.  Aluminum V8, bolt-on body panels (you could, in theory
> change the color of the car with a wrench), 4-wheel disc brakes (inboard
> in the rear), very comfy interior, and all sorts of electrical bells and
> whistles. It suffered an unending string of quality problems, from a
> pinion bolt in the diff that came loose at speed because the doofus at
> the factory didn't bother to bend over the retaining clip, to an
> assortment of Lucas and Smith gizmos that simply crumbled to bits.
>
> But when it was running, it was a real treat.

I had a 1966 Rover 2000TC.  Same car with a SOHC 4 engine and 4-speed manual
gearbox.  Don't forget the modified DeDion rear suspension and the front
suspension that called for the dampers to work backwards.

Tons of trouble, including a gearchange linkage that would go AWOL and requre
the disassembly of the whole car to reach.

When it was running, it was surprsingly fast.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,