Re: [TR] fan extension, fan belt, steering rack

Subject: Re: [TR] fan extension, fan belt, steering rack
From: <hdrider570@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:06:47 -0700
>Do the eliminated parts contribute in any way to balancing or dampening
>vibrations on the >crankshaft?

A much debated question with no clear answers.

The later TR4A had an aluminum fan extension and a Yellow Plastic fan so it
would seem to me that a lot of the weight can be
eliminated but I am not sure if all of it can.  The engine as designed has a
real harmonic around 5,000 so without balancing of the
motor you can readily break the crank in "Racing" situations regardless. YMMV.

Personally I ran a TR4 motor for 15 years with a stock steel extension but with
a fiberglass fan without any problems.  Currently I
am running a TR4 with a (Shorter) TR3 extension and a "Yellow" fan.

Edward Hamer