Re: [TR] Caliper dust boot installation

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Caliper dust boot installation
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:40:04 -0700
ray@raysmg.com wrote:

>...I have small hands, enough patience, and all the time I need
>but would appreciate any insight from the group in how to best attack
>the job.

I do mine by applying a small amount of air pressure thru the bleed
opening as the piston is offered to the already in place boot.  The air
slightly inflates the boot and it 'wants' to slip over the piston.  Some
things that help this...

My wife runs the air gun whilst I fiddle with the piston & boot.

I use a bit of 1/4" irrigation tube fitted to the end of the air gun for
a leaky fit when jammed into the bleed screw hole.  You want constant
but gentle air pressure.

The other piston must be temporarily in place (held with clamp) to be
able to do the first side's boot.  The second goes on with that opposite
piston held by a clamp.

Lubing up with brake fluid or that red 'snot' brake lube helps.

Instead of a possibly damaging dental tool, I use a length of 12 ga
solid bare copper wire (like house wiring) with the tip rounded (so it
is not at all sharp) and bent into a little button hook.

Frist time we did one it took several minutes.  By the time we got to #4
we had it down to a couple of seconds.

Geo H

===     http://www.vtr.org