RE: [TR] tr4 suspension

To: "'Mark Vaden'" <markvaden@gmail.com>, "'triumph list list'"
Subject: RE: [TR] tr4 suspension
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:47:12 -0800
> Does anyone else offer competition springs for a 62 TR4?

I'm surprised Moss doesn't have them.  TRF has several different springs
available, both stiffer and lowered.  The ultimate source is Revington TR in
the UK.

You might also talk to Ken Gillanders at BFE,
http://www.britishframeandengine.com
Richard at Goodparts,
http://www.goodparts.com/
Or Ted at TSi :
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/

> 2)Which front sway bar should I use? I see that the roadster factory
> has an addco 3/4 and 5/8.

I think if you'll read carefully, the 5/8" bar is for the rear.

Not sure if a TR4 would respond the same (since it's track is wider), but
the 3/4" ADDCO bar wasn't quite stiff enough for my TR3A once I got it setup
with low, wide sticky tires, hard bushings and so on.  I was planning to
have Goodparts bend me a custom 1" bar before it got wrecked.

> 3)Should I use a rear sway bar?

Didn't we just go through this ?  For autocross, I'd guess you'd be better
off without one ... but really, you have to be the judge of that.  Depends
on a lot of factors, including the driver, the course, and what diff you
use.

> 4)What are peoples opinions about the competition leaf spring?

I don't have one.

> 5)I read somewhere that you can reverse the upper a arm, therby
> lowering the car. Is this something worth doing?

I think your "somewhere" was mistaken.  The upper A-arms have almost nothing
to do with ride height.  OTOH they have a lot to do with suspension
geometry, and there are some substantial gains to be had there ... just not
by turning the arms upside down.  Keep in mind that, as we were just
discussing, early TR4s are different than later ones; the later ones have
the steering castor built into the upper arms (and trunnion) so reversing
the arms will definitely not work.  Early cars have zero caster, so I think
flipping the arms won't do much of anything.

> 6)Are there any other upgrades that I should make? I already have
> replaced the bushings with poly bushings.

For a purpose-built autox car, LOTS.  For starters, poly is too soft, you
want Nylatron or Delrin on the race track.

I've forgotten where this started, but Ken likes to repeat it so maybe it's
his : "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go ?"

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org