Re: [TR] Help! Tappet noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Help! Tappet noise
From: bean@warbaby.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:28:44 -0800
The tappet problem is solved. I went down the list of suggestions yesterday.
Well the results are in.

TeriAnn- Your suggestion to check the pushrods was brilliant. Pulled
the pushrods and discovered (again, bad memory) they are forged one
piece design, don't know if this is common to the GT6. All straight
and solid.

Tony- no screw in the lifter buckets. I cleaned and checked the
gallery again, this was the most time consuming of the things I tried
yesterday but was well worth the peace of mind.

Terry- I've been setting my valves at .010 cold for years. I checked
my Bentley again and it agreed. Then I noticed the emissions tag on
the firewall also said .010 cold. I think I'm good on that one, but
always open to new information.

After going through these checks as well as doing a more accurate test
of the springs (per Randall's suggestion) and double checking the
rocker shaft to arm bearing clearances, I put it back together and...
no joy. Louder than ever.

In abject frustration I checked the list again and saw a new post.
Probably should have read my email before I went to work because this
was the post that led me to the solution.

Marc- Thank you. I was doubtful, at first, of your suggestion to check
for rocker arm to cover contact. I spent a lot of time reforming the
valve cover to square/flat when I rebuilt the engine this past spring
and could not feel any vibration on the cover that would indicate
contact. Nonetheless I loosened the valve cover and pushed it over
1/16" and started it up. Louder! I pulled the cover to "find the shiny
spot" nothing. I measured the valve cover clearances and found the
culprit. The edge of the breather oil separator box was making slight
contact with the rocker arm. A little adjusting and pounding, put the
valve cover back on and all is quiet. Success! Thank you again for
teaching an old dog a new trick.

After running some errands this morning, thoroughly enjoying my quiet
smooth engine I lost power to a clogged fuel filter. Luckily I had
already ordered a new one that hopefully will arrive today. Triumph
time goes on.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Barry
'71 GT6 signal red