RE: [TR] UNCLOGGING Weld-Thru Aerosol?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] UNCLOGGING Weld-Thru Aerosol?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:09:36 -0800
> We used to have this problem all the time at work with rattle cans of Zinc
> Chromate primer. Does it have something to do with zinc? We put it down to
> students not inverting the can and spraying to clean the nozzle after use.
> Maybe we unfairly accused them?

IMO it's a generic problem with heavy-bodied rattle cans.  I have it a lot with
Rustoleum ... partially used cans almost always clog up the next time they are
used; sometimes even new cans have trouble.  Best I can tell, the can has
corners inside, so the rattle-ball doesn't break up the clumps in those corners
thoroughly, and then they won't pass through the spray mechanism.  Storing the
cans upside down seems to help some, but not always.

> Dave, I have a spray can of AerKroil that is out of propellant but has
> plenty juice left. I was thinking about putting it in a large container in a
> well ventilated area and then shooting it with a .22 from a little distance
> away. Would that work?

If you just want the liquid out, you can punch a hole with a punch & hammer.
What I do is to squirt some compressed air in through the nozzle, which will
then make it work as a spray can again.  Haven't tried it with AeroKroil (yet)
but it works great with PB Blaster (which suffers the same problem for some
reason).  Sometimes it takes multiple doses of air to get it all out, though.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org