RE: [TR] crack propagation

To: <Triumphs@Autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] crack propagation
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:51:20 -0800
> I'm not sure if this is universally true, but I think so.

FWIW, I think so too.

> I believe if you
> drill a small hole at the tip of the crack in the casting, you will stop the
> crack from growing.

Works with most if not all materials, including aluminum, glass and steel.  The
trick is to get the hole located beyond the tip of the existing crack, which
sometimes cannot be seen.

>  You could then fill the hole with epoxy to seal it up.
> The epoxy, being flexible would not concentrate energy the way the crack tip
> does.

Doesn't really matter if it's flexible or not.  Even welding the hole up with
the same base metal will not cause a weak spot like the crack did.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org