[TR] Off-topic does relate to LBCs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Off-topic does relate to LBCs
From: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:17:36 -0500
I think it was Aldous Huxley, extrapolating from a quote by William Blake,
who postulated that we all would have the ability to perceive everything, if
our brain did not protect us from the resultant sensory overload by invoking
some kind of filtering system. That is, our brains deliberately block most
of what we could otherwise see or understand - for our own good.
Does it follow then, that the more effective our filters, the stronger our
brains, and likewise, those people with the strongest brains see things more
rigidly, and are strongly opinionated?
Then, can I be so bold as to take it a step further, and declare that those
of us who steadfastly maintain such positions as "50-year-old British cars
are just as reliable as modern ones", must be amongst the intellectual
elite? Hmmm...
If my line of thinking is valid, I am not surprised at the passion of the
occasional off-topic rants - nor the passion of those who shout "STOP THIS
OFF-TOPICNESS!"
(I happen to enjoy them, and no longer mind just deleting the ones that
don't interest me. It fascinates me that some people can have opinions so
diametrically opposed to others, with both sides presenting strong arguments
to support their positions. Mind-expanding.
Jim

===     http://www.vtr.org