Re: [TR] TR6 Differential Bushings

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Differential Bushings
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:29:43 EST
In a message dated 11/26/2006 9:31:30 PM Central Standard Time,
75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org writes:
> Ok.... as part of my shipwright disease as I go the TBI conversion, I've
> removed the whole exhaust system. And for a 9 year old stock steel system it
> looks real good! Anyway.... this gives me a good look at the diff and in
> checking the diff bushings, I have one that is bent. Actually, either the
> stud/bolt or the housing is bent. So my question is: is that a welded in
> stud or a bolt that I can remove? I'd like to replace the bushings but if
> it's a welded in stud I guess I'd have to drop the whole diff. Is that
> correct? Any cautions?
>
> Anyone recommend a particular bushing over another i.e. VB vs Moss vs TRF?

Now is a good time to inspect the frame for cracks in that area.  They are
not uncommon.  Those studs are welded in and the steel used for the frame is
much thinner than the studs and will tear after a while.  If you find cracks
plan
on having it welded up before it becomes more serious.

You can bump it up another notch (sorry Emeril) by installing a reinforcing
kit (available from Ted and/or the big three which will box the areas in
question and stengthen the frame many times.  But this can be awkward (as is
any
frame welding) with the tub in place.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org