Re: [TR] swap TR6 J-type OD gearbox into a TR4A live axle non

To: dkspence@telus.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] swap TR6 J-type OD gearbox into a TR4A live axle non
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:31:41 EST
In a message dated 11/21/2006 5:44:41 PM Central Standard Time,
dkspence@telus.net writes:
> Possible?  What's involved?  I believe the input shaft on the TR6
> tranny is shorter than on the TR4A tranny- True? What is the
> significance of this re a swap.  Any other problem areas??

The rear mount will be an issue.  Since the OD unit sits further rearward
than on the A-type the mount will interfere with the housing.  This is not
insurmountable but may require some cutting and welding on the frame.

I don't know how different the TR4A is from the early TR6 but I mounted a
J-type in my 71 TR6 with a modest amount of cutting and fabricating a custom
mount.  Since then I performed a frame transplant and now have a 73 frame which
readily accepts the J-type mount.  But I don't think that is an option for you.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org