Re: [TR] Why so many spacers on my clutch slave cylinder

To: jimhearn1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Why so many spacers on my clutch slave cylinder
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:23:58 EST
In a message dated 11/13/2006 10:04:41 AM Central Standard Time,
jimhearn1@comcast.net writes:
> I have only had my '74 TR6 since August.  Due to it weeping, one of the
> first things I had to do to it was rebuild the clutch slave cylinder.  The
> clutch works fine but my question is why are there six washers under each of
> the two mounting bolts for the clutch slave cylinder.  I just installed a
> spin on oil filter adapter and the slave cylinder sort of gets in the way
> due the cylinder's location with these shims.  I am just trying to find out
> if the shims need to be there, etc.  Thanks for any help on this, Jim

Sounds like an attempt to effect the clutch play.  It shouldn't be necessary
since the system is self adjusting.  When you rebuild your slave cylinder was
there a spring in there and did you put it back?  This spring will push the
slave cylinder piston out and make contact between the throwout bearing and
clutch pressure plate.  When all is well the washers are not necessary.

I found that when installing the spin-on filter adapter I could clear the
slave cylinder by swinging the filter adapter forward just a bit.  Even without
the washers straight up and down doesn't quite cut it.

Cheers

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org