[TR] RE: lift

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] RE: lift
From: "sherman" <cm.sherman@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:13:54 -0500
I've recently evaluated lifts and their various options having just
completed my own dream garage - I went all out with a Bendpak PL- SP6 single
post 6000lb for a reasonable price.
(http://www.bendpak.com/default.isg?cPath=358).

There are a wide array of Lift options, each with distinct disadvantages and
benefits. There are three levels entry-level, mid and commercial, Your lift
decision will be based on your budget, ceiling height and service need. They
range in design from mid or full rise Scissors lift, twin or four posts to
Parking/Specialty Lifts.

Whatever choice you make, make sure that your building's construction meet
the lifts requirements - some use 220v power, many require a concrete that
can carry a compressive stress of 3,000 psi (usually 6 inch thick).

The entry-level residence lifts ($1-2000) are appealing for two reasons:
Compact size and Affordability. But depending on the application, may be
very limiting, and not a worthwhile investment. Some are very poorly
constructed (would you risk your TR6 getting crushed); typically have
four-posts; may be difficult to assemble; and after adding the delivery and
the 'extras,' really end up costing much more.

In the mid-tier ($2800-$4000), there are plenty styles and makes to choose
from. Over the years these lifts have come down in price - once $7,000, are
now in the $3,000 range. I would recommend going with a brand that is
recognized by the Automotive Lift Institute (http://autolift.org).

Three manufacturers below are responsible and reputable manufacturers (not
simply resellers) of lifts. These are often sold with a 'free shipping,' but
be aware - they are extremely heavy and require equipment to off-load from
the delivery truck (i.e., fork lifts). My recommendation is to pay a
professional (as I did) who installs and services the lift, and stands
behind and under his work ;)

Read these articles:
Want a lift Motor Mag 062002_07
http://www.trregistry.com/public/lift.pdf

Purchase Considerations: February 2006
http://autolift.org/purchase_considerations.pdf

Mid-tier of residential application (Commercial Grade):
www.bendpak.com
www.challengerlifts.com
http://www.mohawklifts.com

Also check out some offering by Steve D'Gerolamo, but be warned they are not
cheap: http://www.ultimategarage.com/lifts.htm

Corey Sherman