Re: [TR] TR3 Questions

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Questions
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:09:53 -0700
Joe wrote:

> I am looking at buying a local 56 TR3 and I am curious about a couple
> of things.  How hard is it to tell the repro bumpers and grill from
> the originals?

Determining an original bumper could be difficult as the difference in
quality (I think) is in the quality/quantity of plating used on some of
the repros.  Personally, my original bumper was pretty beat up and the
replacement I got seems to be fine (five years now).

As for the grille (grills are for steaks) see the pic in this link...

http://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/grilles.JPG

The top view is the repro grille... the bottom an original.  Close
inspection will reveal that the little openings are larger (or if you
prefer, the slats & verticals are narrower) in the original.  Looks
better I think and may allow more air thru the grille.  Recent repros
may now have the original sized openings... haven't seen one to
compare.  BTW - same car in both photos, color change is just the
vagaries of digital photography.

> Any other original parts that are very hard to come by that should be
> on the car?

Between the number made and the vendors efforts I can't think of
anything that is really hard to replace, esp if a good used part will
serve.  Body sheet metal of course (whether original or repro) isn't
going to just bolt right up due to the nature of how they were built.

Geo