RE: [TR] greenish gray oil

To: "'Paul Dorsey'" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] greenish gray oil
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:06:32 -0700
> It seems I left the dipstick out and water might have gotten
> into the engine because it was greenish-gray (olive colored)
> oil.  I'm hoping that's what color water turns the oil.

What color was the oil you put in ?

I agree with Bill, not likely you got enough water through the dipstick hole
to worry about.  Water mixed thoroughly with oil turns a white color
(mayonnaise is basically a water/oil mixture) but the result can be tinted
by many things.  Generally, in a car engine, it winds up being a tan color
("chocolate milkshake").

But if the water was just poured in without the engine being run afterwards,
the oil will still look like oil.  It takes vigorous agitation (like being
run through the bearings) to mix them.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org