Re: [TR] ball joint removal

To: "Alan Salvatore" <6parts@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] ball joint removal
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:14:46 -0400
On Wednesday 04 October 2006 05:48 pm, Alan Salvatore wrote:
> I believe i asked this question before , but I can't find the answer now.
> I think someone mentioned using two screw drivers.  I can't seem to get
> enough leverage on them; also I don't think they are strong enough.
>
> The book calls for a special tool that looks like a big fork; which I don't
> have.
>
> i have removed the shock since I am putting polly bushings in.
> The bottom of the ball joint has an inset so I tried hitting it with  set
> driver and a hammer, no luck.
> Its hard to get a good shot at it.  I was told to remove the spring and the
> control arm; and I can see that that would give me a much better shot at
> it; but I am trying to avoid that.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Al
Alan,

Both tools Randall highlights will work for ball joints. I have used both and
I second Randall and recommend the 2nd tool. It is cast iron and I used it to
remove the tie rod ends and ball joints from my TR4 project with no trouble.
All I did was tighten the tool and tap with a small hammer, tighten and tap
and the joints all separated. As Randall mentioned, the tool is a bit easier
to use on both the parts and the mechanic. Other listeners have used this
tool and it has broken but it worked great for me.

As always, things are a bit easier if one has the right tools.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org