Re: [TR] Car Storage

To: beaker211@rogers.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Car Storage
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:18:16 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/2006 10:13:25 AM Central Standard Time,
beaker211@rogers.com writes:
> The solar panels I use to keep my RV batteries charged over the winter have
> regulators to prevent over-charging and safeguards to prevent draining the
> battery as well. The one battery I didn't hookup to a panel a few years ago
> did not survive the winter (it was kept indoors, so no freezing issues here).
> It simply would not hold a charge once spring came around. Granted, it was a
> smaller, inexpensive battery, but still it lost its ability to maintain a
> charge. I suspect it was for the same reason you descibe with respect to the
> chemical processes involved with automotive batteries.

Sounds like you have a purpose built battery maintaining system.  This is
good.

Frankly, I was surprised when my car cranked over and started after 11
months.  The battery was not on a charger or maintainer or anything.  Just
disconnected.  Batteries will self-discharge but the rate depends on a lot of
things
and all the stars lined up for me on this one.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org