RE: [TR] Low idle vs Higher idle

To: "'Cosmo Kramer'" <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Low idle vs Higher idle
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 14:35:25 -0700
> My question is:
> What harm could be done if the idle was set LOWER THAN
> 850RPM's?
>
> Say 750 or even lower? Still ideling ruffer the lower
> you go in RPS's.

Cosmo :

I'm not sure you could call it "harm", but I can think of several possible
ill effects of having the idle speed too low :

1) Greater tendency for the engine to stall, particularly when first coming
to a stop (while your right foot is busy on the brake pedal and not
available to tickle the throttle), and when first pulling away from a stop.

2) Greater tendency to overheat, as the fan is not turning fast enough to
pull air through the radiator.

3) Lower oil pressure.

4) Higher exhaust emissions.

That said, the original TR2/3 workshop manual says to set the idle to 500
rpm, so I certainly don't think 750 will do any "harm".

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org