Re: [TR] TR4 distributor problem (solved)

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 distributor problem (solved)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:53:46 -0600
Kurtis wrote:

> Yeah, the rotor's missing! :)
> Seriously... did you remember to replace the rotor?  BTDT.
> You had the project car running fine with this distributor, didn't you?

What kind of idiot would forget to... oh, sorry. ;)

Nah, it was my failure to check *any* reference for the correct wiring
of the distributor with points that got me. I lazily guessed the wiring
with points would be like the wiring with the Ignitor, so I reconnected
the ground wire and connected the low tension lead and the ignition wire
to the other post. Sometime after I sent my note to the list, I thought
to look at a photo of a TR4 engine where I could see how the wires
actually connect. About the same time, several folks on the list
(Randall, Randy, Mark) noticed the wiring gaff and even suggested
improvements to the points install.

The car started right up and ran smoothly without stalling. I then set
the timing using the static method -- which I'd been unable to do while
I had the Ignitor installed.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2