[TR] TR3A Spring Removal

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3A Spring Removal
From: "triumphtr2" <triumphtr2@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:11:11 -0400
Hi all -

I'm in the process of replacing the bushings / shocks / broken spring.
The shop manual says I can "withdraw" the shock from the bottom after
the top nut and bottom nuts and rebound plate are off.. the shock
mounting bracket wiggles a little on the outer two studs, but seems to
have fused to the back studs, and so far any of my
persuasion/soaking/prying/pounding won't release it. I'm thinking I can
remove the spring and shock together, though, and have a bigger wind-up
on the bench.

To remove the spring, I follow that the middle nut/bolt on the front
wishbone are removed, and the middle bumper block and nut on the back
wishbone before using a jack to relieve the spring tension and removing
the other 4 nuts, but don't understand the meaning or purpose of putting
"locating pins" in the 1st two vacant holes, then guiding them through
as the jack is lowered. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

Cameron Joyce

'59 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org