Re: [TR] possible reroutings of TR3 brake lines

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] possible reroutings of TR3 brake lines
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:08:14 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2006 7:02:17 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> I am currently rerouting my brake line.  Originally on the TR3, the line
> from
> the master cylinder to the 5-way runs across the firewall (I kan't remeber
> the prober British word) and then down to the 5-way.
>
> It would only take 6" more of line to run it down the left side down towards
> the oil filter, (I have LHD), accross the engine between the water pump
> thing
> and the valve cover, and then down to the 5-way.
>
> Or it would only require 12" more to run it down the left side down towards
> the oil filter, crossing under the fan at the chassis cross-over and on to
> the
> 5-way that way.

Given the two choices I would avoid at all costs running the brake line
amongst the engine.  If the engine mounts were to give way in an accident the
brake
line would be compromised and any braking options would be taken off the
table.  Running the brake line along the frame is the safest option.  Note that
one of the front brake lines is run along that part of the frame.

But, seriously, I don't think cosmetics is reason enough to mess with a
system so important to safety.  I also don't find the brake line running across
the
firewall (bulkhead) to be cosmetically offensive.  But that is just my
opinion.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org