Re: [TR] OD speedo cable routing

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] OD speedo cable routing
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:17:08 -0400
> I need the wisdom of the list to keep me from breaking speedo cables in my
> 60 TR3A. The cable is a mile and a half long and where I've routed it
> could be the problem.
> I lubed the cable....wrong lube??? I routed it across the firewall with
> hold down clips then down the inner fender then through the frame up to
> the tranny.
> If you have a better lube or routing could you let me know....I'm really
> at a loss with this

Hi, Bob.  I think the routing you describe is accurate.  I saved the
following posting from Randall last month or so, since I was nearing that
point myself:

>>The factory routing had the cable crossing over on the little shelf in
>>front of
>>the battery (little clip in the middle), then going down the
>>bulkhead/firewall
>>on the right side and back along the inside of the RH frame rail.  ISTR
>>there's
>>a clip on the frame rail somewhere.  Big, sweeping curve towards the
>>transmission, then up through the floorboard hole for the handbrake lever
>>and
>>through the channel in the handbrake boot, the hole in the trans tunnel
>>and onto
>>the OD.  Mine chafed where it went through the floorboard, so I slit a
>>length of
>>rubber hose and slid over it as a buffer.

>>The TR2-3B LHS OD speedo cable is a LOT longer than the non-OD, something
>>like
>>96" versus 63" as I recall.

In terms of the lube, I believe the favored lube is graphite.  Grease has a
tendency to despoil the gauge.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A 3 year frame off nearly done:  Man I love a car with a
gear shift lever in it!
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org