[TR] Booster blues

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Booster blues
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:57:12 -0400
This spring I sent off my TR6's brake servo for rebuilding. It had been
making that fluttering noise indicating (I thought) the need for repair.

Afterward, all was well and I was happier. Now, all of 400 miles later
suddenly the fluttering sound is back. I can hear it clearly over the
other noises of valves, exhaust, sobbing and gnashing of teeth.

If I use my stethoscope to identify the source of the sound it is
clearly coming from inside the servo; a sort of 3Hz clicking. Sometimes
all is silent in there, but it is not seemingly related to wiggling the
hoses or tightening clamps etc.

So a question:  I have the vacuum pipe routed in an unusual manner to
hide it as much as possible. I run it along the firewall by the throttle
shaft, under the servo and then up the side between servo and clutch MC.
To connect with the hose, I have turned the servo's hose barb to point
down and to the right (about 4:30 position) instead of the normal 9:00
position. Is there some reason this could cause a problem?

It's the middle of the season and I really do not want to lose 2 weeks
shipping the unit back for repair of the repair, but the fluttering
noise at idle and at night is irritating and I believe it eliminates
much of the booster effect since my brakes seemed more powerful during
the short period that all was silent.

Cheers,

Mark
1972 TR6