[TR] Lucas ignition problem?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Lucas ignition problem?
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:52:39 -0400
OK, it's not Triumph, but presumably a "generic" LBC situation.

A friend's '57 MGA died on the road yesterday and would not restart.
He'd told me he was experiencing some rough running when the car was
warmed up, and he also noted that the coil seemed quite warm to the
touch.

When I got there, there was no spark at the plugs and virtually no
spark on the points, which were not opening much (if at all) and whose
rubbing block showed some wear. Fuel delivery seemed fine.

I changed the points (no easy feat roadside on the MGA's distributor)
and got great spark there...but nowhere else. I then substituted a
known good coil...and still got no spark at the plugs.

Distributor cap, wires and rotor all seem good, with no telltale signs
of damage, cracking or carbon tracking.

At this point, I'm thinking condensor. Does that make sense? It was one
thing that I just didn't even consider trying to change roadside, given
the location and orientation of the MGA distributor, lack of good tools
on hand, and darkness.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

===     http://www.vtr.org