Re: [TR] TR6 ignition switch assembly removal help needed

To: kehrlich@syntapharma.com
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 ignition switch assembly removal help needed
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:21:18 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/2006 9:49:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kehrlich@syntapharma.com writes:

I have  the dash out and have access to the clamps but I have no idea how
to  remove  the "bolts" off the clamps. They have no head or screw  slot
and no visible means to unscrew them. I am nearly positive this is  the
original unit. Does anyone have any idea how to get these out, or  if
there is some sort of special tool to remove them? This car is  going
nowhere till I figure this out.

I just did this last week in the course of replacing steering column
bushings. (actually i watched a friend do this for me - thanks Tony, but the
thing's
not all the way back together yet)

The bolts you are looking at are "shear bolts" - when installed they  have a
tapered area that breaks or shears off when torqued/tightned down -  supposed
to make the car harder to steal - if you look at the head of the  bolt should
see the area right in the middle where the rest of it sheared  off

The easiest way to get these out (IMHO) is to cut a slot in the head with a
dremel tool and turn them out with a screw driver (that's what we did)
alternative methods include striking the bolt heads with a chisel in  the
proper direction to screw them out or drilling into them and turning them  out
with an easy-out tool
Due to the limited space you have to work in, IMHO its best to go buy or
borrow a dremel tool if you don't already have one.
BTW if you back off the column clamps, you can rotate the upper outer  column
to gain better access - turn the thing upside down and you can drill the
bolts from underneath

After you get these shear bolts out, you can replace them with 5/16-18 x  3/4
socket head cap screws so that next time you can turn them out with a 1/4
inch allen wrench.

Good Luck

Cheers
Jack Mc