[TR] TR4 acceleration

To: "triumph list list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 acceleration
From: "Lee&John Howard" <leejohn7@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:27:38 -0400
My driving and fog lamp addition is under control, having accomplished an
alternator conversion and awaiting a wiring kit from Advance Auto Wire.

Now to the acceleration problem. I've just reset the timing, starting from
the static position, using a test lamp, and then advancing on the road. I'm
now about 10 degrees advanced. On acceleration, there is less than full
power and almost a flapping noise until I get to high rpm's , in every gear.
At high rpm's the acceleration is very strong. I expect better acceleration
at higher revs because i have a "D" cam and 10:1 compression. Still, I don't
understand the underpower at the lower revs. Increasing advance more will
cause pronounced pinging.

Could it be valve timing? When I reassembled the engine I did not use a
degree wheel.

What's going on here?

Many thanks, as always.

John Howard