Re: [TR] TR6: new steering is very tight and hard to turn

To: one_second_zero@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6: new steering is very tight and hard to turn
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:48:29 EST
In a message dated 3/20/2006 11:19:58 AM Central Standard Time,
one_second_zero@yahoo.com writes:
> I am in the process of finishing up a long (3 year) complete suspension,
> steering, and brake system overhaul on my 76 TR6.  I've now got the new
> (aftermarket) steering rack and all of the front suspension back together and
>am
> dismayed to find that it takes much more effort to turn the steering
> lock-to-lock than it used to.  It is currently jacked up with no front
>wheels, so there
> should be no resistance other than from the components in the steering system
> itself.  It takes two hands and some effort to turn the wheel and definitely
> feels like much more resistance than normal.  I've replaced every component
> including trunions, bushings, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack
> (aftermarket from Victoria British which I foolishly purchased some time
>ago).   My
> thoughts of the possible culprits are: 1) steering rack itself , 2) ball
>joints
> , 3) trunions, 4) Goodpart aluminum rack mounts putting too much clamping
> force on the tube,  5) Something else too tight???   Any suggestions o!
> n what to
> try/check?  I dread the thought of pulling out the steering rack again.

You're right, it shouldn't take that much force with no load on the wheels.
I'd first disconnect the rack tie rods from the front hubs and see if it is in
the rack or one of the hubs.  That will tell you the next step.

If it is the rack try loosening the mounts and see if that changes anything.

There is a lot of diagnostics you can do without pulling the rack.  If you
can localize the cause you will reduce the amount of work to that necessary.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org