RE: [TR] 48 spoke wire wheels

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] 48 spoke wire wheels
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:07:53 -0800
> The greasy shoes cleaned up very well
> and look great now.

Danger, Danger, Will Robinson !!  Based on personal experience, there is a
very good chance that there is still grease soaked into the pores of the
friction material.  When it gets hot, the grease will vaporize, leading to
severe brake fade (at least) on that wheel.

Unless you're only going to drive in parades, I'd suggest springing for the
$30 or so to have a shop reline your shoes with known good material.  Do it
now, _before_ some idiot pulls out in front of you and you go sideways
because one rear brake doesn't work.  At the very least, use a propane torch
to take the shoes up to 500F or so and see what comes out.

> When the weight of the car is
> on the wheel, the spokes all tighten up.

Ask yourself why this is true ... the wheel is flexing enough to pull the
spokes tight.  This is NOT a good thing.  Spokes should be tight enough to
ring, even off the car.  Best fix it now, hopefully before the entire wheel
is junk.

> Can I try truing them myself?

Should be doable.

> Is there a good guide out there for this?

Sorry, I don't know of one offhand.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org