Mismatched TRactor rod & bearing size questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mismatched TRactor rod & bearing size questions
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:23:48 -0600
My TR3 motor has one connecting rod that, while very similiar to the other
three, has smaller diameter bolts at the big end. It also has a guide sleeve
for both bolt holes, instead of just one. If I get them all to weigh about
the same, is this a problem? Or should I pick up a set of matched conn.
rods, or at least one more to match mine?

Second question: The back of the connecting rod bearing inserts doesn't have
STD. or -.020 etc. stamped on the back. Can I assume they are standard size
if they aren't designated otherwise? All they say on the back is VP (Vell
Parnell or something?) and the number 1456M. I had good oil pressure when
the beast was running, just bad compression, so thought I'd just stick new
big end bearings in while I change the wet liners and leave it at that. My
goal is to get it running cheap and fast as possible and have my other motor
rebuilt right in a few years.

Thanks,
Curt Fisher

WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ <http://www.essex1.com/people/fishnet/>
Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.

"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.

"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"

===     http://www.vtr.org