RE: How hard to fit a big bore kit to a TRactor motor?

Subject: RE: How hard to fit a big bore kit to a TRactor motor?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:00:11 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Yes, I did have a Fergie up to two years ago

Wow, has it been that long ?  I guess so !

> though 'Daisy' was a
> TED-20 in
> that she ran gasoline to start and then lamp oil to continue running.

Interesting.  I assumed the "D" stood for diesel, but obviously I was
mistaken.

For others who may not know, "Lamp oil" was closer to what we would call
kerosene today (my grandfather always called it "coal oil").  It had a
terribly low octane (requiring a rather low compression engine to burn it),
and required heat to vaporize it (hence the starting on gasoline/petrol that
would burn without heat).  But it was cheap as it was basically a by-product
of making gasoline.  The engines to burn it were cheaper and more reliable
than the diesels of the day too, since they still used the Otto cycle and
didn't need the high-pressure injector pumps required for the Diesel cycle.

Today, improved refining techniques allow the oil companies to produce
almost entirely gasoline, so "lamp oil" has fallen out of favor as a motor
fuel (except for jet engines).

Randall - working for another famous maker of "lamp oil" tractors

===     http://www.vtr.org